Friday, August 12, 2016

A Visitor from Heaven...


I recently joined this challenge group where you’re to walk 30 miles in 30 days… sounds easy enough right?  I thought so too… until I started doing it… in the hottest month of the year!   We’re on day 12 and I’ve gone 8.7 miles… the first day was the hardest but as you all know, every journey starts with a single step and even though I’ve missed a couple days, I’m still pushing forward.  Last month I walked no miles… so I’m already ahead of the game and as they say, it’s more than those that didn’t get off the couch.  With that said… this has been a tough week.  Emotionally, mentally, financially, it’s just been absolutely draining and the end of the work day left my mind spinning…  

Halfway through the walk a cardinal flew across the path and perched on a tree branch.  He sat there staring at me, I immediately felt a connection and it was like everything stopped spinning, for just a second the world stopped.  As silly as it may sound or whether you believe in old wives tales or not, it’s believed that a cardinal is a representative of a loved one who has passed. When you see one, it means they are visiting you. They usually show up when you most need them or miss them. They also make an appearance during times of celebration as well as despair to let you know they will always be with you.   Yesterday was my father’s birthday… he would have been 76.  Without a doubt I believe that cardinal was my father, he knew my struggles and knew I needed to be reminded to believe in myself, that I can handle whatever life throws at me.  Telling me to stand tall, lift my head high and take pride in myself… you’ve got this, everything will be ok.

1 comment:

  1. We've felt the same about dragon flies. Just somebody popping by to say hi.

    You are correct. You are 8.7 miles ahead of where you were last month. Next month, if you keep it up, you'll be even further ahead. "Geology is the study of pressure and time. That's all it takes really, pressure, and time." --The Shawshank Redemption

    ReplyDelete